Fundraising Policies and
We solicit funds in a respectful manner and without pressure. If you designate a contribution to a particular program and thus restrict its use, we will honor that designation. Evidence Action is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization. We issue written tax receipts for all donations that are deemed tax-deductible in the United States. If no goods or services were provided, the tax receipt will state that. If a donor receives anything in exchange for a donation, the tax receipt shall clearly state what portion of the donation is tax deductible.
Gifts to Evidence Action may be made in any amount for the benefit of any of its programs. Gifts may be designated for a specific program or purpose, or gifts may be unrestricted in which case they will be disbursed to the area of greatest need at the discretion of Evidence Action’s CEO or his/her designee.
1. Gifts of cash. Evidence Action accepts gifts of cash, checks, money orders and gifts via credit card.
2. Marketable securities. Evidence Action accepts gifts of publicly traded stocks and bonds. Unless its board of directors grants a specific exemption, Evidence Action will immediately sell all gifts of stock or property. Gifts of stock are valued at the average of the high and low trading prices for the day the stock transfers into the control of Evidence Action. To contribute stock that is held in certificate form, Evidence Action must be notified in advance and specific instructions will be provided.
3. Stock in privately owned companies or Subchapter S corporations. Evidence Action does not currently accept contributions of stock in privately owned companies or Subchapter S corporations.
4. Real estate and tangible personal property. Evidence Action does not currently accept contributions of real estate or other tangible personal property.
5. Substantiation. It is the responsibility of the donor, with advice from his or her professional advisors, to substantiate any tax deductions and to comply with IRS regulations and policies, including the filing of form 8283.
Any information supplied to Evidence Action by donors will be used solely to fulfill their donative intent and shall not be shared for any reason (except where legally required), unless the donor grants permission to share such information. All requests to remain anonymous shall be honored.
Evidence Action does not sell or share its donor lists with third parties with the exception of donors who give to us at the recommendation of GiveWell and who explicitly agree to have their name and email address shared with GiveWell.
Donors who supply Evidence Action with their postal address or email address may be contacted periodically for education or solicitation purposes and/or with information regarding upcoming events. Donors may request to be permanently removed from Evidence Action mailing list by contacting Evidence Action via email, phone, or postal mail. All requests to be removed from Evidence Action mailing list shall be honored.
Additionally, Evidence Action’s donors and prospective donors have the right:
- To be informed of Evidence Action’s mission, of the way we intend to use donated resources, and of our capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes.
- To be informed of the identity of those serving on Evidence Action’s governing board, and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities.
- To have access to the organization’s most recent financial statements.
- To be assured their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given.
- To receive appropriate acknowledgement and recognition.
- To be assured that information about their donation is handled with respect and with confidentiality.
- To expect that all relationships with individuals representing Evidence Action of interest to the donor will be professional in nature.
- To be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees of Evidence Action, or hired solicitors.
- To have the opportunity for their names to be deleted from mailing lists that Evidence Action may intend to share.
- To feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful, and forthright answers.
Fundraising Disclosure Statement
Evidence Action is a District of Columbia non-profit corporation and tax-exempt 501(c)(3) public charity with a mission to be a world leader in scaling evidence-based and cost-effective programs to reduce the burden of poverty.Financial and other information about Evidence Action’s purpose, programs and activities can be obtained by contacting Evidence Action at 1101 K Street, NW, Washington, DC 20005 USA, 202.888.9886 or email@example.com, or for residents of the following states, as stated below. Florida: SC No. CH-46365, A COPY OF THE OFFICIAL REGISTRATION AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE DIVISION OF CONSUMER SERVICES BY CALLING TOLL-FREE, 1-800-HELP- FLA (435-7352) WITHIN THE STATE OR VISITING THEIR WEBSITE WWW.FRESHFROMFLORIDA.COM. REGISTRATION DOES NOT IMPLY ENDORSEMENT, APPROVAL, OR RECOMMENDATION BY THE STATE. Maryland: For the cost of postage and copying, from the Secretary of State, State House, Annapolis, MD 21401. Michigan: MICS No. 58568. Mississippi: The official registration and financial information of Evidence Action may be obtained from the Mississippi Secretary of State’s office by calling 1-888-236-6167. Registration by the Secretary of State does not imply endorsement. Nevada: Contributions may be tax deductible pursuant to the provisions of section 170(c) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, 26 U.S.C. § 170(c). New Jersey: INFORMATION FILED WITH THE ATTORNEY GENERAL CONCERNING THIS CHARITABLE SOLICITATION AND THE PERCENTAGE OF CONTRIBUTIONS RECEIVED BY THE CHARITY DURING THE LAST REPORTING PERIOD THAT WERE DEDICATED TO THE CHARITABLE PURPOSE MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE ATTORNEY GENERAL OF THE STATE OF NEW JERSEY BY CALLING (973) 504-6215 AND IS AVAILABLE ON THE INTERNET AT http://www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/charfrm.htm. REGISTRATION WITH THE ATTORNEY GENERAL DOES NOT IMPLY ENDORSEMENT. New York: Upon request, a copy of the latest annual report can be obtained from the organization or from the Attorney General Charities Bureau, 120 Broadway, New York, NY 10271. North Carolina: Financial information about this organization and a copy of its license are available from the State Solicitation Licensing Branch at 1-888-830-4989 (within North Carolina) or (919) 807-2214 (outside of North Carolina). The license is not an endorsement by the State. Pennsylvania: The official registration and financial information of Evidence Action may be obtained from the Pennsylvania Department of State by calling toll-free, within Pennsylvania, 1-800-732-0999. Registration does not imply endorsement. Virginia: Financial statements are available from the State Office of Consumer Affairs in the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Affairs, P.O. Box 1163, Richmond, VA 23218. Washington: The notice of solicitation as required by the Charitable Solicitation Act is on file at Charities Division, Office of the Secretary of State, State of Washington, Olympia, WA 98504-0422, 1-800-332-4483. A potential donor can obtain additional financial disclosure information at a published number in the office of the secretary. West Virginia: West Virginia residents may obtain a summary of the registration and financial documents from the Secretary of State, State Capitol, Charleston, WV 25305. CONTRIBUTIONS ARE DEDUCTIBLE FOR U.S. FEDERAL INCOME TAX PURPOSES IN ACCORDANCE WITH APPLICABLE LAW. REGISTRATION IN A STATE DOES NOT IMPLY ENDORSEMENT, APPROVAL, OR RECOMMENDATION OF EVIDENCE ACTION BY THE STATE.